Inadequate storage can cause you to lose some of your most precious possessions. Some may have monetary value, but more importantly, they could be irreplaceable family heirlooms. Therefore, properly
. You may have spent years collecting all your antiques, jewelry, and art, and it would only make sense to take the time to store all those possessions with care. Take a look at ways to safely store valuable items, and don't worry about their stay in storage.
Storing Valuable Furniture and Antiques in Your Home
There are vital things to consider when you are storing valuables in your home. Consider the following things, all of which can damage your valuables:
- Extreme temperatures
If you want to keep valuable items in your home, plan on storing them in an extra room or a space away from windows and vents. And even with all this taken into account, safely storing breakables and valuables
has a lot to do with preparation and protection
. Taking the following steps is necessary if you want to safely store your valuable items:
1. Before you start wrapping fragile items in an air bubble foil, make sure you clean them:
• Remove dust and dirt and treat wood with furniture polish
• Vacuum upholstery
• Apply oil to metals to prevent rust
• To prevent mold, make sure everything is dry before you start wrapping
2. Disassemble heavy pieces of furniture
3. Wrap chair legs and arms with the air bubble foil
4. Wrap items up with a sheet and then blankets to cushion them
5. Protect corners and do not wrap things too tightly or in plastic wrap. Your furniture should be able to breathe, and plastic can trap moisture and cause mold.
6. Find an area away from doors, windows, and vents to keep your furniture safe from the elements and accidents.
Storing Small Valuables at Home
To safely store valuable items at home, keep jewelry and rings in a secure container away from easily accessible areas. Properly storing your fine jewelry will preserve it and help retain its value. The right type of jewelry box will extend the life of your treasurable pieces
. It is best to keep jewelry in the original package, but a jewelry box is also a great option. In addition to that, avoid keeping these valuables, including small musical instruments
, in the living room or other common areas, making them an easy target for thieves. You can find safes and similar equipment at your local hardware store.
If you want to be super safe, some storage products even have fingerprint scanning and voice activation features. You can also store these valuables at home by separating them into smaller storage containers. This makes moving sets of items easier. In addition to that, you can make sure that they are not damaged if you pack the items properly.
storing jewelry is very important
Portable Storage Units
Using a portable storage unit is a simpler, more convenient, and cheaper
option than using a safe deposit box, according to professionals at verifiedmovers.com
who have experience with moving and storage companies. The main downside of this option is insurance. Homeowners' insurance policies typically do not include damage or theft of jewelry, pottery, and other fine art, including their storage units. To make this option worthwhile, you will need to buy a separate insurance policy for these types of valuables.
Safe Deposit Boxes
This decision deems careful consideration. When it comes to options, the most popular choice is a safe deposit box. These come in different sizes and are found inside banks. The banks rent them out to consumers, typically for a yearly fee. Since they have two locks, they cannot be opened without the customer's and the guard's key, which is kept at the bank. However, there are a few drawbacks to this option. Banks impose strict limitations on what can and cannot be stored in safe deposit boxes. Accessing the deposit box in an emergency can also be a hassle. So, you need to consider if this is convenient for you in the long run.
store valuable items in a safety deposit box
Going for a Storage Unit and Choosing the Storage Unit Size
If you are in the process of moving or need to keep your valuables outside your home, consider using a storage unit and pay special attention to picking the right storage unit size. The storage company can help you decide on the space
that is the most fitting for safely storing valuable items. They can offer units with high security and monitoring
so that you do not have to worry about their safety. The storage units also have climate control features that can help you preserve your art pieces, books, and photographs. You would also be able to get insurance for your storage unit for that extra peace of mind.
Safely Store Valuable Items like Fine Art
There are several things you should do when storing your fine art or displaying it in your home:
- Hire a professional to hang your art - To avoid accidents and slip-ups, it is good to have a professional hang it correctly. They will use the proper hardware, which a general contractor might not. Keep in mind that heat and smoke can ruin your valuable artwork. Therefore, it is not advisable to hang it above a fireplace or another heat source.
- Do not change the temperature too often - The ideal temperature for your valuable art is between 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Safely store valuable items like art in a location away from vents, doors, and windows.
- Keep your art away from sunlight - Ultraviolet light will cause irreversible damage to your art. This is especially true for paper, textiles, and photos. Try to rotate the location of your paintings regularly to avoid fading.
- Attics and basements are not ideal for storage - Basements and attics are exposed to extreme temperature changes, flooding, insects, and rodents. This is because of the proximity of the building's exterior. If you need to put your artwork away, try to store it in a centralized room or dry space in your home. You can also build an art closet that has horizontal racks with the option for the doors to lock.
sure you carefully hang and store artwork
Hopefully, these tips will help you safely store valuable items the next time you find yourself dealing with a lack of space. Your items can have a high emotional and monetary value, which is why you must keep them protected.